Home | Amazing Nebraska Places | Amazing Nebraska Museums | Amazing Nebraskans | Amazing Nebraska Historical Events | Amazing Nebraska Weather | Amazing Nebraska Facts | Nebraska Ledgends and Lore | Haunted Nebraska | Strange Nebraska Creatures | Nebraska UFOs | Nebraska Unsolved Mysteries | Amazing Omaha | Links
Nebraska Missing Persons


Missing Norfolk Teen: Lacey Anderson

Oct 9, 2009
Norfolk, NE

(NORFOLK, NE) Norfolk native Lacey Anderson went missing almost seven weeks ago on August 23rd. Despite the troubled teen's history of drug use and delinquency, the 19-year-old's mother continues to be her biggest advocate.

Lacey Anderson was living at this apartment complex with her mother when she went missing. "Lacey is a local girl. She grew up here. There's a lot of people that know her," says Sgt. Michael Bauer, Norfolk Police Investigations.

Lacey's mother Pam Hess describes her daughter as a good girl who got caught up in bad things. The teen used drugs and was awaiting sentencing for her role in a drive-by shooting when she disappeared. "She knew she was going to do her time. She was going to make the best of it and take college classes while she was there," says Pam Hess, Lacey Anderson's mother.

Pam says if Lacey left on purpose, it was because someone was targeting her. "If Lacey ran away, I don't think it was because of her sentencing. I think it was because she was scared," says Hess.

There have been dozens of tips but so far none have panned out. "The cops, they follow up on them, but if there's no leads, there's no leads. It's just like Bewitched came in, blinked her nose, and poof, Lacey was gone," says Hess. But Norfolk police say eliminating leads narrows the scope of the investigation.

"The family needs to know that we are continually working on the case. These cases do not go inactive for us. As long as there's something to do, we're out there trying to find Lacey," says Sgt. Bauer. And so is Lacey's family, even when they fear the worst. "But in my heart, I just say, she's somewhere with her friends and they're watching her. And she'll call me when she can," says Hess.

And with the help of Facebook, thousands of friends are coming forward. "Since Lacey's gone missing, there's 3,600 people on her Help Find Lacey website," says Hess. "By using the Facebook, we were able to disseminate and retrieve information extremely quick," says Sgt. Bauer.

But nothing can replace a mother's direct plea to her missing daughter. "Just let me know you're alive. I don't care if she's on the run forever, just let us know she's alive," says Hess. Despite her teen's troubled past, Pam says Lacey is a good kid, a child worth looking for.

Horizontal Divider 26


Family waits to hear from missing woman

By MELISSA LEE / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Friday, October 2, 2009 10:55 pm

Wansah Hadgi's suitcase arrived at Omaha Eppley Airfield on Sept. 11, stuffed with clothes and souvenirs from the monthlong trip she'd taken to Syria to visit family. The suitcase held beauty supplies and makeup, a new yellow purse and delicately embroidered fabric Wansah bought in Syria to make dresses for herself and her sister for a friend's upcoming wedding.Wansah never picked up her luggage.

In fact, she never boarded her final flight home from Chicago O'Hare International Airport.By the time American Airlines phoned to ask her family to collect her bag, a single father, four younger siblings and countless friends had begun to panic.How could Wansah have cleared customs in Chicago and directed her luggage home, but never gotten on that last plane?Why hadn't she called from Chicago like she'd promised to let her family know when to pick her up?How could a shy 32-year-old woman who was the picture of responsibility just vanish?

Where is Wansah?

"We're still in shock," her sister Dilma, 28, says from the Hadgis' Lincoln home, shared by all five children and their father, Mashko. "You see this happening to other people. But not your family." Three weeks have passed since Wansah's cousin dropped her off at the airport in Damascus, Syria, with $700 in cash. Wansah called Dilma to say she was on her way home and would call from Chicago. But she never did, and now family and friends are searching for answers.

Authorities know she didn't check into the Hilton hotel across from the Chicago airport. She hasn't been arrested or otherwise been contacted by police anywhere in the country. Her Social Security card shows no new activity as it would if, say, she had applied for a new job. She hasn't showed up at Cook's Ham, where she's worked in packaging since 2000; hasn't contacted her family, to whom she's been a maternal figure since her mother died several years ago; hasn't returned to Lincoln to pursue dreams of perfecting her English, earning a GED and attending college.

The Hadgis filed a missing person's report in Lincoln, and Dilma and a younger brother drove to Chicago to file a report there. They've written a dozen letters to government officials asking for help. They've prayed for her return. They feel helpless. "I feel like I can do so little," says Mary Reed, a family friend in Lincoln.

Foul play?

Robert Berent is the Chicago detective working Wansah's case. He's a 29-year veteran of the police force who estimates he handles 2,000 missing persons reports a year. Sometimes, he says, women who disappear turn out to have run away with a romantic interest their families didn't know about. "We don't know who she talked to on that Jordanian airline," Berent says. "A lot of things could have transpired" during a long international flight.

It's also possible Wansah -- a U.S. citizen born in Iraq who bears a Muslim name, though she's Yazidi, not Muslim -- was stopped by a federal government agency. The Department of Homeland Security, for instance, surely was on high alert on the date Wansah was traveling. Berent has asked the government to check its databases to see if Wansah was indeed stopped. He's awaiting a response.

But, he says, there's comfort in the fact 97 percent of people reported missing eventually are found. And given the slim chance Wansah would have left a busy airport for an unfamiliar city by herself, Berent is confident she wasn't abducted or hurt at O'Hare."I can almost guarantee that there's no foul play in this case," he says.

Wansah's family and friends fear otherwise. Wansah was so shy she wouldn't even lift her head to make eye contact with a stranger -- much less strike up a romantic involvement, Dilma Hadgi says. And Wansah would never neglect her family, Dilma says.  "She never gave problems to anyone," Mashko Hadgi says in Kurdish.

He's moodier since Wansah disappeared, Dilma says of Mashko. And with tears welling, she admits she's having trouble eating, sleeping, concentrating at school. Dilma and Wansah share a small bedroom, their beds just a few feet apart. They talked almost every night when Wansah got home from work around midnight, even though Dilma gets up early for school.

First trip alone

The Hadgis were part of a Yazidi minority in their native Iraq. Along with Christians, Yazidis are often persecuted in the mostly Muslim country. In the early 1980s, the family fled to Syria. In 1999, they made their way to Pennsylvania, and the next year they arrived in Lincoln. Wansah spoke of someday returning to Pennsylvania to reunite with other refugees the family had grown close to, her sister says.

Wansah became a U.S. citizen during a naturalization ceremony on Flag Day this year. She'd studied for the citizenship test for three years and was thrilled to pass, Dilma says. She hoped to continue her studies by someday attending college. Wansah did have challenges: In addition to being painfully shy, she had a poor sense of direction, even getting lost at Lincoln malls, Dilma says. As such, she was nervous for her Syria trip, the first time she would travel outside Nebraska by herself. But Dilma had been there recently, so Wansah decided she could handle it.

After leaving Nebraska on Aug. 14, though, she got lost at O'Hare. Without a cell phone, she called her family from a pay phone at the airport. One of her brothers hopped on a plane to Chicago to help Wansah get on the correct flight. When he arrived at O'Hare on Aug. 17, Wansah told him she'd stayed by the pay phone the entire time, even sleeping next to it at night. So when Wansah didn't return to Nebraska on schedule, the family at first assumed she must have gotten lost again, Dilma says. They waited for another phone call from a sheepish Wansah.

They're still waiting.

Horizontal Divider 26

Age progressed


Jason Anthony Jolkowski

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: June 13, 2001 from Omaha, Nebraska

Classification: Endangered Missing

Date of Birth: June 24, 1981 Age: 19 years old

Height and Weight: 6'1, 160 - 165 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Brown hair, brown eyes. Jolkowski's nickname is JJ.

Clothing/Jewelry Description: A white Chicago Cubs or Sammy Sosa t-shirt, a blue or black Chicago Cubs baseball cap, black dress pants, and black dress shoes.

Medical Conditions: Jolkowski has learning disabilities related to speech and language. The disabilities may make him appear to be mildly mentally retarded, but he is actually of above average intelligence

Details of Disappearance

On June 13, 2001, Jolkowski was called into work early. He worked at a Fazoli's restaurant on 80th and Cass Streets in his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska. His car was in the shop for repairs and he initially said he would walk there, but then called back and made arrangements for a co-worker to pick him up at Jolkowski's old school, Benson High School, eight blocks from his home.

Jolkowski carried his red work t-shirt with him at the time of his disappearance. On the way out the door of his family's residence, he decided to help his younger brother take trash cans into the garage. A neighbor saw him carry the cans into the garage at his house in the area of 48th and Bedford Steets. This was at 10:45 a.m. Between 11:15 and 11:30 a.m., Jolkowski's co-worker called the house to find out why he hadn't met her at the high school. This is when his disappearance was discovered.

Jolkowski has never been heard from again. He left $650 behind in his bank account, which has not been touched since his disappearance. He has not cashed any of his paychecks, used his cellular phone or automatic teller machine (ATM) card, or picked up his car from the auto repair shop since his disappearance. Jolkowski was supposed to start a new job a week after he vanished, and was excited about it; he never showed up to begin work there. He had no more than $60 on his person on the day he disappeared, and no personal items were missing from his room. He did his household chores as usual up until the time he disappeared.

Jolkowski's loved ones suspect foul play may have been involved in his disappearance. They say he is too responsible to have left without warning, and he was not having any problems at the time of his disappearance. He is described as a shy person who was not involved with drugs or alcohol and was close to his family at the time of his disappearance. He has no known enemies.

Jolkowski was born in Grand Island, Nebraska. His mother founded Project Jason, a non-profit organization dedicated to assisting the families of missing people and publicizing missing person cases, after her son vanished. Jolkowski's case remains unsolved.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Omaha Police Department

Horizontal Divider 26



Benjamin Richard Cannon

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: March 1995 from Omaha, Nebraska

Classification: Missing Date of Birth: October 11, 1974

 Age: 20 years old

Height and Weight: 6'2, 180 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Dark brown hair, gray/hazel eyes. Cannon's hair was buzz-cut with bangs at the time of his disappearance. His nickname is Ben. He had no tattoos at the time of his 1995 disappearance.

Clothing/Jewelry Description: Unknown, but he dresses casually and sometimes wears a beret.

Medical Conditions: Cannon may suffer from mental illness.

Details of Disappearance

Cannon was last seen in Omaha, Nebraska sometime during 1995. He was involved with the Rainbow Family, a nomadic cult-type religious group, at the time of his disappearance. He has never been heard from again. Cannon was not reported missing until May 2004, nine years after he went missing; prior to then, the police refused to accept a report. Few details are available in his case.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Omaha Police Department

Horizontal Divider 26



Regina Marie Bos

Vital Statistics at Time of Disappearance

Missing Since: October 17, 2000 from Lincoln, Nebraska

Classification: Endangered Missing

Date Of Birth: November 4, 1959

Age: 40 years old

Height and Weight: 5'6, 105 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female. Auburn hair, brown eyes. Bos has facial freckles. She has a tattoo of a small yellow rose on her back. Bos's ears are pierced. She wears eyeglasses or contact lenses. Bos's nickname is Gina. Her maiden name is Rap and her previous married name is Williams.

Clothing/Jewelry Description: A short-sleeved black shirt, fitted black pants and ankle-high black boots.

Details of Disappearance

Bos arrived at Duggan's Pub on 11th Street and K Street in Lincoln, Nebraska shortly after 11:00 p.m. on October 16, 2000. She is a musician and often participated in Open Mic Nights at the pub. Witnesses at Duggan's Pub said that Bos was in good spirits during the evening. She departed the club at approximately 1:00 a.m. on October 17, telling friends she planned to pick up her boyfriend at his residence and then proceed home to be with her three children for the rest of the night. Witnesses said that Bos had her guitar and music with her when she left the pub, but it is unclear if she was carrying her purse. Bos never arrived at her boyfriend's home as planned and has not been heard from again.

Bos's boyfriend called her children at approximately 6:30 a.m. Her pager was located inside her residence at that time. Her boyfriend then summoned authorities and her loved ones hired a private investigator to attempt to locate Bos. Her Saturn was discovered parked across the street from Duggan's Pub later in the day. There was no sign of Bos at the scene, but her guitar was found inside the vehicle and the trunk was opened slightly. Bos's loved ones said it was extremely uncharacteristic of her to leave without warning. Authorities have stated that Bos's disappearance is suspicious.

Bos's sister, musician Jannel Rap, initiated a series of concerts in Bos's honor shortly after her 2000 disappearance called GINA (Greater Investigation Now Available) For Missing Persons.

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Lincoln Police Department

Lincoln CrimeStoppers

Horizontal Divider 26

Horizontal Divider 26